I was moving from New York to California and needed to ship one of my vehicles so I didn't have to drag my wife and 2 kids (6 yrs and 3 yrs) across the country for 7 days.
I found this company (Autotrail Transporters) and they made it sound like they could pick up my truck the following week using a 2-day pick-up window (I was moving 2-days after the planne pick-up date). They told me it would cost $1020 plus a $30 inspection fee. They billed my credit card. They told me the vehicle would be delivered 2 weeks after pick-up.
The pick-up dates came and went and I heard nothing from the company. My wife called to find out what was going on and was told that they MIGHT pick up the vehicle the following week. She became frantic (because we weren't going to be in the area) and asked if this was a legitimate company. The manager got on the phone and began cursing at my wife.
I called the company and they told me the driver was running late and would pick it up next week and that the "pick-up dates" I had agreed to were only "approximate" according to the contract. I told them I had never seen a contract and wanted to get a full refund. I was told I had to send them a written statement declaring my intentions to cancel my order and they would refund $800 of the $1050. They said the contract terms spelled out a $250 non-refundable admin fee. Once again I told them I had never seen nor signed a contract and wanted a FULL refund. They told me "tough luck" and if the transporter arrived before they got my cancellation notice, then I would be out the entire $1050.
I decided to wait and give them a chance (mostly because I had to leave town to make the trip to my new house in California and had no other option).
Three weeks later I still had no truck. I called the company to find out what was going on and guy told me the transport carrier called and would pick it up in the middle of the week. I asked the guy for the name of the transport carrier which he gave me. I called the transport carrier to confirm the information I was given and was told they had no order for my truck to be picked up. I called Autotrail back and talked to someone different who told me the transport carrier had broken down and they were still trying to locate a new transport carrier.
Another week went by and still no truck! I called Autotrial yet again and was told they had no new information and they would call me as soon as they got some.
I couldn't wait any longer! My wife needed her truck to start her new job and I was starting work the following week. i faxed Autotrail a written cancellation request and bought a plane ticket. I flew back to NY, got the truck, and drove it across the country to CA. Two weeks later and I am still waiting for my refund!!!! Meanwhile I am paying interest on money that Autotrail has, and with nothing to show for it but a HUGE headache and waste of my time!!!!